Tuesday

Boxed Wine

A link to a popular essay on boxed wines in yesterday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/opinion/18colman.html?em

I'm a big fan of Black Box wine. What you lose in romance you certainly gain back in taste, practicality, and certainly value. Twenty-three dollars per 3-litre box translates to roughly $6 per bottle. Not exactly European prices, but getting closer.

For whites I enjoy Black Box pinot grigio and chardonnay. For reds, I find their cabernet to be really very good. I do not like the shiraz, and I have not tried the merlot.

The article points out the environmental advantages of boxed wine. It costs (per carbon emmissions) half to ship the boxes. Four "bottles" in a box weigh half the equivolent in bottles. There's also less to discard when finished.

It was difficult to make the leap, but at the end of the day I gambled $23 and won.

No comments: