Friday

Following a recipe

Sam Sifton named this as one of his favorite new dishes of 2010 recently, a whole wheat pasta and chick pea dish from Del Posto.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/dining/29yearrex4.html

I made it recently and it really is good... though I agree with Susan that it might have benefited from a bit of lemon zest.

It's rare that I follow recipes to the letter but I think I did with this one, down to including the "juice" from the canned chickpeas, something I'd ordinarily spurn. (Canned beans are a standby for me. I do love home-prepped dry beans, but when you're in a hurry....)

Bonito-- shaved, dried tuna. I bought some ages ago to make broth for miso soup. It really does add a briny dimension to the dish. I bought it at one of the Asian stores in the Strip District.

The dish also reheats well. I melted some butter and sauteed the leftovers in it.

No comments: