Sunday

Healthy lunches


I'm trying to lose some weight-- fat, specifically. I'm not large, but I'm out of shape, and I've got a belly. I'm realistic; I'll never be Daniel Craig. But with high cholesterol, and a relatively sedentary life over the last couple of years, it's time to excercise and make different food choices.


I've been running for 30 minutes five time a week for the last three weeks, and stretching (which I loathe) a bit, and doing some push-ups.


I've also been enjoying our CSA-- Community Supported Agriculture. As I wrote recently, we get a weekly delivery. It's a lot of food, too much for just dinner, so it's found its way into my lunches too: sauteed zuchini and potatoes, salads-- yup, salads for lunch. I'm such a girl.


On the bright side, I still enjoy cocktails (Muddled Limeys, Margaritas, Sazeracs), beer and wine, and bits of meat here and there.


Dinner last night was a whole 2# sea bass (from off shore Virginia, I'm told) grilled over fennel fronds on our gas grill, per recent Minimalist post. (Very good, too, though I'd hoped to get nicer looking fish fillets than the mess I ended up with.) We still have the CSA fennel bulbs, which Susan will turn into a salad with oil-cured olives and orange segments.


Lunches have been salads with whatever happens to be delivered. Recently, boiled beets, sauteed zuchini, and cucumber. The goat cheese and sprouts came from our 'fridge.


I've lost 4 or 5 pounds, and hope to lose 5 more. After that, we'll see.


It's easier in the summer. It's too hot to eat too much, and easier to be outside, active.


Being unemployed really helps a lot too.




No comments: