Friday

bouillabaisse

I was going to write about the bouillabaisse I made for Valentine's Day when I realized I'd already put up the recipe for fish soup. It sounds better in French: Soup au poisson. Fish soup sounds a bit downmarket. But it is very satisfying and not difficult, if somewhat time consuming.


This batch was different though. Rather than a pureed smooth soup, I left large pieces of fish intact in the broth. In a real bouillabaise restaurant, these would have been served seperately, ahead of the soup-broth course.


So, into my garlicky, tomatoey fish broth went two fillets of red snapper and four large shrimp. Off to the side I'd steamed a dozen mussels in a little water and chopped shallot; they went in, along with the mussel broth. I then sauteed a couple of really big scallops in some very hot butter, and in they went.


I got out my griddle and and got it hot, and brushed some slices of ciabatta with olive oil, and grilled them til grill marks appeared. I can think of nothing that isn't improved by grilled bread.


The rouille was good and garlicky.


(Lady enjoying "fish soup")
I made brownies for dessert, sprinkled with flakey sea salt before baking them.

1 comment:

Chris Rodell said...

Hi Darly,

Thanks so much for finding my blog, www.EightDaysToAmish.com, and signing up to follow. Really, that means a lot to me anytime a friendly stranger parachutes out of nowhere to testify.

I enjoy your stuff here and at your travel blog and will try and check in. In the meantime, please let me know what I can do to keep my blog fresh and lively and refer it to friends if you ever find it worthy.

Best,

Chris R.