Friday

Chicken Saag

I have an abundance of spinach so I'm going to attempt to make a favorite Indian dish for lunch, saag (which, I imagine, translates as "spinach.") As I have a leftover grilled chicken breast too, that'll go in. However I really prefer saag with lamb or fresh cheese.

Here, after a careful 10 minute on-line review, is what I'll do:

1. Saute some chopped onion til lightly browned in vegetable oil. Add some chopped garlic and minced ginger.

2. Steam lots of spinach til wilted, transer to blender or food processor and puree the hell out of it. Season with S and P.

3. Make a spice blend: cumin, tumeric, crushed cardomom seeds, smoked paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne. Add to sauteed vegetables and saute 'til fragrant.

4. Add chopped chicken (or cooked lamb, or tofu, or fresh cheese). Saute to coat with spices.

5. Add spinach puree. Check seasonings. Add butter, cream, milk or yogurt.

6. Eat.

No comments: