Monday

Last Meals

A friend gave me a great book last week… My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes.

My friend Keri works for Borders and actually got a visiting Tony Bourdain to sign a copy for me… well, for “Darly.” (His last meal? Roasted bone marrow on toast, with sea salt and parsley, prepared by Fergus Henderson, a London chef famous for “nose to tail” eating. Nothing wasted.)

Needless to say, it was a very thoughtful gift.

Most chefs picked fairly simple meals to go out on.

Got me thinking of course….

I wouldn’t mind a little rillette, a slice of pate and some good bread… a roast chicken with jus and roasted vegetables…. Some Morbiere and Roquefort cheese… and a modest dessert—perhaps a little flan.

I’d be fine with Black Box wines, perhaps a pinot grigio for the starters and chicken, morphing to their cabernet for the cheese course. A glass of Remy XO would be most welcome to settle my digestion, and nerves.

I’d eat it on a balcony overlooking some French countryside. Susan would be there, of course, and we’d have a little Django Reinhardt and some Louis Armstrong on in the background.

Wait, skip the Black Box. Fine though it is, if I’m eating in France I’m drinking whatever is local.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I made it on to the blog! So happy to know you are digesting the book properly. I was thinking about my last meal as well; some olives & prosciutto to start, a killer pasta dish with truffle oil, some wild salmon on field greens and perhaps a fudgie brownie for dessert. I would drink Lillet, wine and Navan for dessert. Ciao-klh